I am still working on the "one mover", "two mover" thing and have come up with another idea. Did someone ever ask you a question where you did not know the answer? Did they then ask you to, "Give me your best educated guess"? I have not heard anyone use that expression in years. I wonder why that was. Do you think that Obama gave us his best educated guess on what happened in Libya for at least 12 days after the event? I would have taken the "educated guess" from almost anyone over the very "strange" answer Obama came up with.
What I am interested in is how kids go from being "one movers" to "two movers". I can't figure Obama. He is either a bald face lier or incompetent. There are no other alternatives. Here is my idea. The most likely way people become "two movers" is that they are born that way, but if they can change, it has to happen early in their lives. Here is one way. Did you ever have some small kid keep asking "what", "how" or "why"? You know that you did. How did you treat the kid? I think that is a key point. Did you give the kid a simple, but correct answer? That is what most people do and I think it sets up a pattern where the answer always comes form outside the kid. Did you ever, as a kid, deal with an adult who challenged you to come up with, "your best educated guess" rather than hand you the answer? I think that might be the key. But wait.
Here is what we have now. Most kids associate with other kids like themselves of about the same ages. They are in groups being baby sat from ages about 2 to 4 and then into kindergarten and 1st grade until age 6 or 7. If this is the period where kids become "two" and "three movers" what we have done is to take away the adult stimulus during this critical period. Look at farm kids vs urban kids during these critical years. I think that you will agree that the farm or rural kids get the kind of simple but important adult stimulus that urban kids do not get. Historically, we were all farmers or rural people. It has only been a recent change in human history that so may kids are raised in urban areas. I don't know about you, but I think that there is something that we have been missing here. If you just stand back and look objectively, you have to agree that parents in a one-on-one relationship with a young child will have many times the impact on a kid than a paid teacher or other young kids. I think that historically, parents did a better job of raising their kids than we do now with "paid" helpers, such as school teachers.
When I used to interview people for jobs, I would ask them questions where they did not know the "exact" answer and most would say that they did not know the answer. I would then ask for their, "best educated guess" and they would decline to even guess. I eliminated these types of people from further consideration. I would ask them how far the Moon or the Sun is from the Earth and it would be the same, they would not guess. Try this one. This is a test for you. What was Micky Mantel's life time batting average? Guess. Don't know? Guess! Give me an educated guess. I'll bet that if you guess that it will be within 50% points of the actual value. How can that be? You just try and then look up the value on the Internet.
I think this whole concept is so important that I am not going to give it up for a while and would be interested in your comments which I will share with other readers. I feel that we need more "two and three movers" and I hope that there is some way that we can develop more.