I think that we all know that many of the people who voted for Biden were actually voting against Trump's "style". I have some idea on this in this blog.
When I heard that so many people voted against Trump and for Biden because they did not like Trump's "style", I was totally confused. How could USA voters be so stupid and narrow minded? I have been thinking about that and now think that I may have a clue. I have talked to several friends who I respect, but who voted for Biden. You might ask how I could respect them as friends if they were so stupid as to vote for Biden. That is a good question. Here is what I think.
Who wins the Presidency is normally determined by only a small percentage of the vote. We have to keep that point in mind and focus on those who can be switched or convinced to vote. We actually have a much smaller voter turnout than most people think. In this last election we did have a much better turnout, but many who had voted in the past did not turnout. Why would a person switch from Trump to Biden, that is the real question. Remember that at least 75% of democrats and republicans are religious about their parties and would never switch, so let's set those aside for our discussion. Now, let's look at those 25% in both parties and what drives them.
I contend that many of those in both of these two groups are well off economically and confident in themselves. Many have over sized egos where they feel that their success was 100% a function of their ability and thus could to equally well no matter who hung their hat in the White House. Given this attitude when they look at the two candidates they like or dislike each equally based on how they might operate as President. Because of this fact, they decide between the two candidates on flimsy ego factors like "style" rather on what is actually best for the country.
Voting is a classic decision making model and most of us look at it that way, but not this well satisfied ego driven group. Their objective for selecting a new President is not what is best for the country or even themselves since they are convinced that they will personally do well with ether candidate. Why else would so many high level corporate executives come out on the side of Biden. It was because of the above, not what would be best for the county.
Recent college graduates are examples of what I am talking about. Because they have their degrees, they feel that they are going to do well with who ever is President and thus base their vote on "style". Why else would so many recent college graduates vote for Biden? If you follow this logic, you can start to see why the close vote ended up the way it did.
I think that you can also see more that "mature" voters would have voted for Trump realizing that those who are climbing up the economic ladder would be better served by a President like Trump. Those who were already set with their degrees or who had already met with success only voted for their short term ego interest even if that success was aided by the first Trump Presidency..