If you believe in "Racial Equity", get ready for a rough ride. I will explain in this blog.
It appears that the USA is the only country in the world that has a serious problem with "systemic racism" and the cure is to eliminate "racial inequity". If you don't know what that it, I will explain it for you. If we compare Blacks with Whites on a very limited basis, we find that there are differences. What else would you expect? Now, I said that this comparison was based on a limited class of differences. That in of itself is reason to be suspicious. If you compare the percentage of Blacks who earn degrees in Electrical Engineering from major universities, you will see a very big difference. When I was in college, there were exactly "zero" Blacks in my engineering classes though there were many on the football team. Are you starting to see how serious this problem is? I was not on the football team, though I did play football in high school. Was I the victim of some kind of "systematic racism" against White football players or was I just not as good as the others?
Now that you have an idea about the problem. What is the cure? How do we cure the problem with "zero" Black graduates in Electrical Engineering. We could look over at Black Studies and see how they were able to land so many more Black students in their programs. We might also check the Wall Street Journal want adds for Electrical Engineers and graduates in Black Studies to get an idea about what skills are needed and how much they produce and thus earn. Now, back to the cure. The only cure that I see with a chance of working is that we need to restrict White kids from going into Electrical Engineering and let Black kids have their seats no matter their skill level. If we do that and inflate the grades for the Black students, we could actually graduate Blacks with degrees in Electrical Engineering. The problem with that is that as an employer, I would interview and test the applicants to see if they could do the job. What I am sure I would find is that most of the Blacks would not be qualified for my jobs and there would be a lot of very disappointed White kids who were rejected for there college Electrical Engineering program. That is only part of the problem.
What else do you think would happen if we did the above? The USA would be flooded with Electrical Engineers who graduated from colleges in other countries. Companies would have no choice but to go out and hire foreign Electrical Engineers while our own children were forced to take lower paying jobs because they were rejected for our Electrical Engineering colleges. We already have this problem to some degree because of the quality of our k-12 public schools. How many Indians and Asians do you think are holding down all those Electrical Engineering jobs in Santa Clara Valley? Look at our technical graduate schools and see where many of the students were born? It was not in Chicago or Baltimore.
If we go down this road, the above is exactly what we can expect. The only real choice is to focus on "merit" just like the foot ball team does. We need to be blind to race. It is the only fair course.