Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Covid-19 And The 6 Foot Rule

I have blogged about the Clowns and here goes again.

This "6 Foot Rule" appears to be catching on all over the place and I don't know why.  It is like the 11th commandment or something.  Some of my friends tell me that they don't want to be less than "6 Feet" from anyone.  Period.  I had a case where I was sitting at a table in a restaurant and someone sat at another table and ended up a little closer than the "6 Feet".  My friend immediately excused himself and left me alone in the  restaurant.  A later discussion revealed that this friend considered the "6 Foot Rule" like the 11th commandment.

The facts are that if an infected person is sitting 6 feet away from you, you are still not 100% safe.  It is even more complicated with more variables that these "clowns" never discuss.  Take the case where all parties are wearing masks or not?  What if you are a little more or less than the 6 feet?  What if you are in this proximity for less than 60 seconds or more than an hour?  What if the person is coughing or not?  What about people who sat in your same chair a minute or an hour before?  What if the waitress wiped down the chairs and table or did not?  What if the table is indoors or our?  What if it is a sunny day or at night?  Are you starting to see the ignorance of taking the 6 foot rule as though it was the 11th commandment? 

I accused these experts of being clowns and I still do, but it reminds me of a story.  My uncle noticed a farmer down the road who was talking to his mule.  As he thought about what he saw, he realized that he could not tell which one was the mule.  It is the same with these clowns.  If you watch these clowns and believe 100% of what they say, how can you be sure that you are not a clown also?

Recent research into the spread of the covid-19 indicates that "time" of being around an infected person is a very significant point.  Studies have shown that a person has to be around an infected person for a very long time before they become infected.  So time of exposure is very important.  I have observed that clerks in stores who come in close contact with hundreds of people each day have had a very small chance of being infected.  This data flies in the face of the "curb pick up" rule that has been mandated almost every where.

I think that you can see that we need to open up the economy much faster and start discussing more of the factors that can contribute to the spreading of  covid-19.  The public is smart enough to under stand rules that are more complex than "6 Feet".  I may have spoken too soon on this last one, but keeping the "6 Foot Rule" is still the work of a bunch of "Clowns"!