Saturday, February 19, 2011

What's Right For The Whole Country?

I have, like most of you,have been watching the situatiion in Wisconsin where union teachers have been rioting. It seems clear from their actions that they do not trust the democratic system, where we all vote for the people who represent our ideas. In Wisconsin, they just had a an election where the voters elected both a Republican governor as well as majorities of Republicans in both houses. It would seem that democracy has worked it way. More people in Wisconsin want Republicans to cut cost and reduce the size of state government. Isn't that how democracies supposed to work? The people vote for some thing and they are supposed to get what they voted for. If the people who want a bigger government and higher pay to government employees get fewer votes, then they lose. What seems to be happening is that union members and our President seems to want to cancel the will of the voters of the state of Wisconsin. It seems clear to me that Obama does not believe in democracy if it does not agree with what he wants. I did not vote for Obama, but he is still the President of the USA and he is supposed to represent me too. It seems that Obama only feels that he has to represent those who voted for him.

This is not a game where one team wins. We are all on the same team and all of us should want "What's Right For The Whole Country". Everyone of my grandfathers going back to the Revolutionary War were fighting for What's Right For The Whole Country". They were not fighting for one party or for labor unions. What has happened to our country? For some reason Obama who does not come from the normal american tradition thinks that since he "won" the election that he can now do what ever he wants. He does not seem to understand that he was elected by a democratic ballot to serve all the people. It is no different from a football team who elects a captain and then expects that captain to represent all the players on the team. For some reason Obama does not understand this very simple concept. It may be because he was raised in a Moslem family in a forign country until he was 8 years old. I know for a fact that by age 8 I understood what it meant to be an American. I don't think Obama every got that message.

Now what would I do in Wisconsin. I am not Ronald Reagan, but he did the right thing when he was presented with a similar problem. I would fire every public union person who did not return to work on Tuesday morning. What I would do is to "cancel" their senority. These people do not understand merit and doing a good job. All they understand is senority. If they were hired first, they are the last to lose their jobs. It has nothing to do with merit or performance. I would end that for everyone who called in sick, period. They would get their jobs back, but they would go to the bottom of the senority list. Like I said, those who did not report for work on next Tuesday morning, I would fire. We all know that the state of Wisconsin will have to reduce the number of teachers and when they do the ones who rioted will be the first to go.

It will be very interesting how the Wisconsin situation plays out. You can expect that I will have more Blogs on this subject as things progress.