What ever happened to our constitution? I will try to explain in this blog.
On Jan 6th we had a small group from the large Trump rally walk over to their capital to confront their representatives. We have had similar, but smaller, groups do this sort of things in the past. By looking at the limited video footage that has been available, it is clear than many were more "curious" about what was going on than actually protesting. We need to focus on what they were doing since we are not mind readers and don't know what they might be "thinking". Remember the song about. "you can't go to jail for what you are thinking". In the case of the protesters, I feel that the democrats, who were in charge, think they are some kind of mind readers and know what the protesters were thinking.
I have been involved with protests and you have seen protests on TV where the "BLM" group burned down buildings and killed people. In the case of Jan 6th, no protester burned anything down or killed anyone. To my knowledge they found no guns within the group of protesters either. The only person who was killed was by the capital police. Why did they not prosecute that policeman? It has to clear to all that he was not directly in any kind of danger. He stuck his hand out of a hallway door and shot randomly into a group of protestors on the other side of a locked door. If he felt in danger why didn't he just leave? Why did he not use some nonlethal means like pepper spray or tear gas? Anyone who has any understanding of the law and the constitution can see that the police over acted and should be held liable.
I was discussing the situation of Jan 6th with some friends and asked them about why the people who were arrested and accused of trespass and damaging property were still being hell in jail without bond and a speedy trial. I got several very sick answers from my friends, which clearly showed that they had never read our constitution or if they did they did not remember or understand its purpose. A speedy trial is critical and the founder knew this. Think about it. What if you were arrested with some screwball charge and then denied bail and then held waiting forever for your trial for years? Kings used to do that in Europe and the USA was not Europe or do we have a king.
How much shouting did you hear about the terrorist that we held in Guantamimo? It was on the news almost daily. Obama wanted to let them all go or bring them into the USA where they would be subject to our constitutional rights of a fair and speedy trial. Why are our citizens who only trespassed at best treated worse than terrorist who killed over 3,000 people on 9/11? You tell me.
My biggest concern is that it was even possible for people who we have elected to represent us in Washington DC could have even done what they have done. I feel sorry for those who are in jail now, but I know that without a real crime that they could do the same thing to me or you or my children. I thought that I was protected by the constitution, but now I am not so sure. If you are not worried by what is happening, you just don't have your eyes open. These guys have been held for almost a year without a chance to defend themselves in a court of law before a jury of their piers. I have served on several juries and understand that responsibility is and that it is the final protection for you and me against an all powerful central government. The founders understood this and tried to protect us. Let's just hope that in the end we all learn the important lesson that Jan 6th teaches before it is too late!