Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Train Crash In Philadelphia

Did you see on the news that there was another train crash in Philadelphia due to too  much speed on a curve.  We had one in Spain, California and now on the east coast.  All were caused by driver error.  I get tired of hearing simple minded news people talking and talking but not really saying anything significant.  How about this?

I have a "Tom-Tom" that I purchased several years ago for less than $100.  I use it all the time.  If you have one, you will follow this blog.  The simple cheap "Tom-Tom" has a feature that warns you if you exceed the legal speed.  It works by knowing the speed on the road and the DPS knows where you are on that road.  It is a simple thing to for the "Tom-Tom" to turn on an alarm instantly when you exceed the speed limit.  If trains has this $100 "Tom-Tom", it could have sounded an alarm and if the engineers had a brain, they could connect it to the throttle so that the train would be slowed automatically.  Simple, right?  If that is the case, why don't expensive trains with high paid drivers have this simple feature?

I just thought that if our general population was a little smarter, they would demand simple features like this on trains and would stop making people take their shoes off at the airport or for businesses to have to jump thru the hoops to prevent "global warming"!!!

PS---I would also think that some train riders might have an application on their cell phones that uses its GPS and could warn the train rider if the train was going faster than the speed limit.  My kids do this when we are on a trip.  They can tell from the back seat if I am driving too fast.

PS---According to the news, the train was going at over 100 mph when the speed limit on the curve was only 50 mph.  Apparently the brakes were applied only at the last couple of seconds.  Who needs a "Tom-Tom"??????

PS---What if the train driver got the job due to the "affirmative action" program and your father was killed in the crash?  What would you think or do?  Wait and see what we find out.