Friday, December 10, 2021

Booz

 This is a more interesting blog for a change.

I blogged in the past about how I have been making homebrew and moonshine, but now I into even better stuff.  What is that stuff?  It is cheap Booz, like Vodka or Rum that I can buy at my store (and pay the tax) and then use some of my creativity to make the Booz even better.  Here is what I just did.

I took a cheap bottle of clear Rum and added some of my home toasted White Oak chips, a few drops of Glycerin and Vanilla.  I let is sit in a Mason jar for a few days or weeks before I tasted it.  When I tasted it, it did not taste at all like the original Rum.  I also added about 1/2 a tea spoon of Maple syrup to my quart. It was much smoother than regular Bourbon.  I don't know all the detailed chemistry, but I think that because the Rum is made from cane syrup or sugar that it ends up purer and cleaner than if it were made by malting corn or grain using enzymes.

Here is the bottom line.  We are just a few weeks from our big New Years parties and you know how we need good Booz for that.  What I propose is that we all experiment a little and make up a Mason jar of our own Booz similar to what I have done above.  I think that many of your friends will get a kick out your experiment and may be they will try it them selves.  One other key point is that, you know how expensive some Booz can be compared to the cheap stuff.  With the system proposed above, you can create your own more expensive  or "Craft" Booz.  The fact that you paid the tax when you bought the original cheap bottle, you are not breaking any laws by creating you own unique "Craft" Booz.

Have a happy New Year!









c