With all the discussion about the cancel culture, I thought that I would go at it from a different slant in this blog.
Did you ever ask someone, "What do you think?" I know that you have and that you may not have been satisfied with their answer. That is if they actually answered your question. Here is what I have observed and it really makes me wonder where we are all going. Even good friends answer this way and that is even worse. Here is how they answer and it is often with a question. How can that be? Why do they answer a simple question with another question? Here is why. They are intellectual cowards. They are so insecure that they want to know what answer you want before they give you their answer. How bad is that? You know how it works and I know that you have experienced exactly what I am talking about.
Here is another response that is just as bad and it can slip by you if you are not watching for it. What is it? They answer something like this. "Many people think this......". and tell you what other people think. That is not what you are interested in. You care about what your friend thinks, but this trick often satisfies most questioners. Politicians use this trick all the time. If you will just pay attention, you will see it a lot more than you might think.
Our former President Obama was very good at the above trick and he would go on and on with this non-answer until most have forgotten what the original question was. If you paid attention, then you know how he used this trick all the time. Even many of your good friends use this trick and I hope that it pisses you off as much as it does me. I already know what most people think when I ask the question so I do not need some kind of lesson on the subject. I want to cut thru the BS and get an honest answer from a person who I thought was a good friend. If they are really a good friend, then why don't they want to give me their honest answer? That is what has confused me.
What we have is a bunch of people who are timid and insecure people and the cancel culture has discovered them and is now exploiting' them. The cancel culture figured out that most people are these timid little people who have been passing themselves off as strong intellectual people when they are clearly not. What this all means is that this whole cancel culture business is not going to stop until more people get a back bone and have the courage to stand up for their opinions and are able to discuss their opinions with others. It is OK to have an opinion and it is OK for someone to have a different opinion. Sounds simple, but many people have not figured this out. I hope you have and I hope this blog will give more of you the courage to have and defend your opinions!