Saturday, March 28, 2020

Medical Protocols

I have a lot of problems with our medical system and in this bog I want to explore a few.

Over the years, I have tested doctors who I have encountered with a question about their knowledge of "Bayes Theorem".  If you have never heard of this before, do some homework.  I have not found one who is familiar with "Bayes Theorem" which is the statistical foundation of diagnostics.  It gets worse.

Every time I hear a doctor spout about some "protocol" I almost throw up.  They sound like cooks who are baking cakes.  They follow the recipe where it calls for "exactly" one tea spoon of salt or
"exactly" one cup of flour.  The world is not digital, it is analog.  There is nothing that is "exact" and this is particularly true in medicine where 99% of what they call science is "empirical".  If you are not familiar with the term "empirical" maybe you need to do some more homework.  Now to the evaluation of testing for cures for the coronavirus.

On TV, I keep hearing doctors say that potential cure "A" has not been proven and all we have are anecdotal results. I am not a doctor, but I do understand logic and it has an application regarding cure "A".  Here is my observation.  "A" has been used for over 50 years so they know about some of its benefits and its dangers.  They know that it has been used for arthritis with success. I know that arthritis is mostly the result of one's immune system over reacting and "A" moderates this.  It is my understanding about the cornonavirus acts like arthritis only on the lungs.  Your immune system kicks into overdrive and floods the lungs with mucus causing severe pneumonia.  Product "A" moderates that effect and thus is a partial cure.  Did you ever hear this logic any place else?  I did not think so.

I could come up with all kinds of examples where our medical training has created so call experts who can do little more than regurgitate protocols.  This ability was what allowed them to get A's in our schools when they really did not know to think.  Biology is mostly memorization while physics teaches "rules" or "laws" that can be jointed together to find something "new".  Interesting!