Monday, August 24, 2015

Duck Hunting And Terrorists

What does Duck Hunting and Terrorists have in common?  Not much you think?  I think there is a good lesson to be learned if you follow my blog.

When I was about 12 years old, I got my first shot gun.  It was a 20 gauge Savage single shot.  It was a sweet gun and I lived on a farm near a lot of good duck hunting.  For some reason, I did not shoot any ducks the first few times I went out hunting.  I just could not seem to hit them.  I talked to some older hunters and told them about my experience.  What I was doing was shooting into a flock of ducks without picking out any single duck.  The ducks were so thick that I did not see anyway that I could miss, but I always did.  The older hunters told me to not focus on the flock, but on a single duck and shoot at him.  The next time I went out hunting I followed their advice and came back with two ducks.  Do you see the lesson here?  If you don't I will try to explain in my blog.

Look at terrorists.  We have at least 5,000 or 10,000 on our watch lists.  Think of those lists like a "flock".  We also have at least 10,000 people who are watching the people on those lists.  Think of those people as "duck hunters".  What they are doing is only watching the "flock" of terrorists and no one is taking aim on single terrorists on those lists.  That is why. virtually, 100% of the terrorists who have killed people were being "watched", but no one was in charge of doing anything or stopping them.

When you realize that we have at least 10,000 hunters who are now just watching the terrorists on the lists, we have enough hunters to assign a hunter to each potential terrorist.  We need some kind of clear system to assign a hunter who is responsible to "pull the trigger" on a potential terrorist when they go beyond some control point.  It is like a hunter who is watching a single duck and when that duck comes into range, at that very moment the hunter pulls the trigger.  Notice that a duck hunter does not dial his cell phone and ask permission to shoot the duck.  If he had to do that, no hunter would be eating duck for dinner.

I have used a similar argument with football where the coach tells his players that all they have to do is to individually beat the player across the line from them and their team will win.  It is not magic.  There is no such thing as "group" or "team" action.  It is all individuals adds up.  When you hear about a terrorist who was on some kind of list setting off a bomb, ask who was in charge?  Ask for the name of that individual, not what department or group.  Ask for the individuals name so you know exactly who dropped the ball.  Rather than fire the department or group, you can fire the individual who did not do his or her job.  You only have to look at how our government works to realize that there is "no" one individually in charge of anything.  Look at the IRS or the Vet hospital to see what is happening.

We need more duck hunters and fewer committees and groups!!~!