Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Are Some Lives More Equal Than Others?

I have been think more about the security inspectors who have invaded our airports and made air travel so difficult. Do you think that air travelers are "more equal than others"? What I means, is are their lives more important than yours? Should we be required to spend more to protect them than we do for ourselves and our children? I have always thought that we are all "equal" under the law and that laws could not be passed to favor one group over another. I guess I was wrong. It seems that the lives of air travelers are more valuable than the rest of us.

If you travel on a ship, bus, ferry or train, no one searched little old ladies and children do they? Why not? Isn't their lives just as valuable as those traveling by air? Do you think it might have something to do with the odds of being killed on a plane vs in a school class room? As it turns out you are safer on a plane than almost anyplace else. Many more people are killed by hitting deer than are kill on air planes. As I blogged before, if we had secure doors to the cockpit, zero people would be killed on the ground and most would not be killed before the plane landed. We would have never had a 9/11 if that one simple change had been in affect.

A small point that I have blogged on before is that all rights and responsibilities are "individual" and not based on any "group" such as air travelers. What is good for one is good for all. If we get away from that simple concept, it will be the beginning of the end for the kind of country that we have known. We have already started defining special classes of people who have more rights than others. Taken one by one, many seem reasonable, but it is how it always starts. If we feel that we need special rights for one group or another, we should make those choices with much caution. I would recommend that we error on the side of "not" allowing those special rights because once granted, they are almost impossible to take back.

Have you noticed all the kids these days getting on the school buses with big back packs. Who inspects these back packs? Where is the government when our kids need protection? They are down at the airport. What do you think the chances of your kid being injured or killed on a school bus or with what ever is in one of those back packs? I think it is just as high as someone one traveling on an airplane. Do you think your kid is "equal" to one of those air travelers? How about people who fly on charters or personal aircraft like mine? No one inspects me before I take off.

I think that you must be starting to see where all this is going and where it is going to end up. We need to stop and look at what we are doing and get realistic about security and this business of "who is more equal". If we are only going to look at events like 9/11, we will continue to close the barn door after the horse is out and only waste our time and money AND OUR FREEDOM!!! Wake up.