Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What Is All The Complaining About?

I just read another article in the Atlantic about how the rich are getting richer and the super rich are in a class by themselves. The implication is that the poor are getting poorer like this is all a "zero sum game". I think what we have is a bad case of invy.

For millions of years humans have been poor. They were hunter gatherers who were just able to keep one step ahead of the reaper. Then with all their over sized brain, they figured out how to game the hunter gatherer system greatly to their advantage. That is all they did and the real gain was made by a very few and all the rest of us took advantage of those few, but we claimed it was due to our own hard work and intellect. If you don't believe me, take this simple test.

(1) The first big discovery by "us" humans was how to build a fire. If that is such a universal ability, then I want you to go out into your back yard without any modern tools and build a fire. Can't do it can you? Only one human in 10,000 could pull that one off. I guess you are not one of the 1 in 10,000, so why should you complain?

(2) This is an easy one. Another major discovery was the domestication of animals like sheep and the ability to make clothing out of the wool. If I gave you a whole fleese and a week in your backyard without any modern tools, could you spin that wool into yarn and make a wool cap? I did not think so. Here again, you must not be in that group of 1 in 10,000, so exactly where do you stand? Are you still complaining that life is not fair?

(3) Here is a point that I have Blogged on before. The one discovery that the Native Americans did not have was iron tools like the Europeans. This was one of the main reasons that the Europeans defeated the Native Americans. I think you know what my next test questions is going to be. If I were to give you some iron ore and send you out in your back yard for a week or into the woods without any modern tools, could you come back with a piece of pure iron? If I allowed you to take any tool from your home with you, would it make any difference? Still couldn't do it? See what I mean? Are you still complaining about rich people?

(4) One universal tool that most humans discovered very early in human history is how to make a bow. If I sent you into the woods with your Boy Scout pocket knife, could you build a bow and arrow? Could you then use that bow and arrow to kill enough game for just one meal? I did not think so. I guess that you are still not in that group of 1 in 10,000 so why are you complaining about some guy who got rich?

(5) Here is another one. How about gun powder? It was one of he biggest advances in modern human history. I will give you the same challenge on gun powder. For this one, I'll let you use any knowledge that you currently have, but no new knowledge. You can use any tools or equipment that you currently have around your house. Can't do this one either? I guess that you are not one of those special people in the 1 in 10,000 group. Are you still complaining about rich people?

The point that I am trying to make is that most of use seem to give ourselves far too much credit. Just because our kids know how to punch keys on a computer does not mean that they know anything about computers or smart enough to advance the human race. Most parents think that their kids know much more about computers when, infact they don't know the first thing about computer programming. For those few people who know how computers work and how to write their own programs, do you think they should be paid more than you or your kids? Most of the things that you have been doing to make a living can be done by a person half way around the world who doesn't even know how to read or write. He gets paid only $1.00 per hour and you expect to be paid $25 per hour. The guy halfway around the world used to only get paid $0.50 per hour and now he gets paid twice as much. Isn't that good? The fact is you were finally caught up with you and now is only going to pay you what you are worth. Sad but ture. Stop complaining. It was a good ride, but now it seems to be over.