It has been so long now that I can't remember when I first read "Animal Farm". It was one of those special books that really had an impact on me. It may have been the way that it was written or just the fact that most important things are really simple when you strip away all the schmaltz. I have been surprised how many people who I know who seem to be well educated who never read "Animal Farm". When ever I hear the phrase used, "...some are more equal than others...", I always think about "Animal Farm" even though it has been many years since I read it.
For me, the simple message of "Animal Farm" is that I do not want any part of a political or social system where some people are more equal than others. I wrote a Blog on this point some time ago, but it deserves repeating. Here in the USA we have come together with the understanding that this is a country of "law" not the whims of individual people. Rule of law is key to who we are and why we are different from many other societies. Further, we came together under a special constitution that protects the interests of the minorities from the majority. All this comes together to prevent just what has been happening in Arizona. How can I be against what Obama is doing there? As an individual person, I do not have any problem with Obama doing or saying anything that he wants, but I do have a problem when he singles out a person or a group and gives them special rights. The people who died in Arizona seem to be, "....more equal....". On a personal basis, I feel very sorry for the individuals and their families. This is not about personal grief. I know that many of you will not agree and say that the government should do every thing they can to help those who were injured and their families. I say no!
People are shot every day in the USA and I don't see the President doing anything special for them. Are they "....less equal...? Go to Flint, Michigan, for example, I have read that they have the highest shooting rate per capita than any city in the USA. Are the lives of those people "...less equal..."? You tell me.
It has been a policy of Obama to single out groups like the middle class or union members as being "....more equal..." than others. How can we allow this kind of conduct by our President? I thought that he was the President for all of us and would protect us equally. I don't think there are classes with in the USA who are ...more equal than others.... Isn't this what we have the Revolution in 1776 for? We did not want any King or Queen who were ....more equal... We didn't want any Dukes or Lords who were ....more equal....
As a kid, I was a poor as dirt, but I held my head high because I knew that I was ...equal to anyone, and no one was more equal than me... When I read the book "Animal Farm" everything that I believed in as a kid was confirmed. Now I am very sensitive about this point as you must by now know. If at any time we have group with in our society that are ....more equal... we have a real problem. It is like a small fire in a dry forest. Once you allow one small fire, you risk the whole forest. You might think this is all hot air, but I feel that this is the way it starts. Small steps at first and then bigger and bigger steps. I might be wrong, but the risk, in my mind, is too big to take the chance.
Agree or disagree, but you have to think about it.
PS, If it was your mother who was shot coming out of the grocery store, wouldn't she deserve to have the President of the USA give a speech for her. Maybe your mother is ....less equal...