Sunday, January 30, 2011

Brain Drain---Obama's Comments

Obama recently made a speech about the "Brain Drain" here in the USA. Obama stated that approximately 50% of Phd's earned from our universities are by students who were born outside the USA. I know that students from outside the USA take technical degrees, not the bull shit degrees that our kids take. I did some of my own analysis of Phd's granted by the University of Wisconsin. The UW system is very typical of USA universities. The number one BS degree granted by the UW is for Political Science. Few foreign student take Political Science. The number one MS degree is Social Worker. How is that? In 2010 the UW granted 712 Phd's. I went thru the list and added up those that I feel are worthless and should not be paid for by the taxpayers of Wisconsin or another state. The total was 290 or 40.7% of the 712 total.

My guess is that no thinking smart foreign student would waste their time taking one of these 290 bull shit degrees. UW granted 422 real Phd degrees and foreign student earned about 356 of these. That leaves about 66 for American born students. Now check this out. Our kids earned 290 bull shit degrees and 66 technical degrees for a total of 356 Phd's. The tax payers of Wisconsin paid for a total of 712 degrees, but their kids only earned 66 of those technical degrees while foreigners earned 356. I know parents go around bragging about their kid earning a Phd from the UW, but the chances are less than 10% that it was in a technical area. When a foreign parent brags, he is 99% sure it was in a technical area.

If the tax payers required that 100% of the Phd's go to residents and that they are only granted in technical areas, the UW budget could be reduced by 90% and still produce the same 66 home grown kids with technical Phd's. What I can't figure out is how this has been going on for so long right under the noses of Wisconsin tax payers. When is it going to stop?