Saturday, March 6, 2010

Rhode Island Schools

I heard on the news that the state of Rhode Island schools had gone bankrupt. That's right bankrupt because they were performing so badly. When I heard the news, I jumped for joy that finally someone was doing something about our poor performing schools. The problem is that I just heard a new interview with some state official who clarified exactly what they were doing. This you won't believe.

They say that they are closing the lowest performing 1% of the state schools and laying off all the teachers in those schools. Good idea, right? They are next going to interview each of the layed off teachers and only rehire those who they judge to be competent. Good so far. When asked about the rejected teachers, the state official said that they will be retrained and assigned to different schools. Does this sound familiar? Isn't this what the Catholic Church did with priests who were playing sex games with alter boys? The just passed these pervert priests around the system so that all the alter boys could get in on the fun. Well, this is exactly what the Rhode Island school system is doing. I would not spend a penny on the rejected teachers. I would send them packing. We know that from rule #1 that you get the most pop for the buck when you spend your money on winners, not losers.

I really don't see any hope for our future, our kids, unless we start home schooling them. Sad but true. When you start honestly looking at the facts, my ideas will not seem so radical. Once you spend a dollar, you can't get it back. There are no do overs in real life. If you don't spend the dollar now, you always have the option of spending it later, but not the other way around.