Friday, June 16, 2023

Clocker

 I have not blogged in a while, but I think you will like this one.

What is a "Clocker"?  I am sure that none of you have ever thought about this one.  I dfffffffffffffid not either until I was out mowing mu lawn and noticed that the person who had mowed it before, did not do a very good job.  My thought was that they must have been some kind of "Clocker".  Now, the word "Clocker" is not a dirty word as you will see.

First, a little back ground on the subject.  When I was young, I had many jobs and none of them invovled a "clock".  My jobs were all "piece work".  If you don't know what that is, it is a job that pays you based on the amount of work that you do.  You might even get a bonus if you did a very  high quality job.  If you think about it, the idea of work is to do some kind of work that accomplishes some thing.

Now, what has changed?  Well, now people work by the hour or "clock". You know what I am talking about.  Look at our school teachers.  They they are "Clockers".  They are not paid by the amount of information that they teach our kids.  They are paid by the "clock".  Look at the labor unions.  They promote the hourly rate as measured by the "clock", not what the people produce.  This whole idea has changed who we are and it has changed our economy too.  

Now, back to the mowing of my lawn.  I am sure the person who had mowed my lawn was a "Clocker" because they had no concern for quality of the job.  Their only thought was the "clock" and as time passed they knew that they would get paid more.  I know that many people have hired others for some job, but they ended up with a person who was just a "Clocker" who looked at the job on the amount paid per hour as measured by the "clock".  They were not motivated to figure out how to do the job faster or at a high quality.  Those thought were not even in their minds.  Think about how much our economy misses because 99% of the workers are "Clockers" and are only concerned about getting thru the day as measured by the "clock"?

Rather than just focusing on the hourly rate and the "clock", why don't we don't we try to figure out how to eliminate the "clock" and focus on the job and the quality of the work?  We did this too ourselves by going along with this whole idea of working on the basis of the "clock"?   I know that it made accounting easier and it made a lot of manager's jobs easier too, but is that the objective?  I don't think so.  Think about it!!