Most of us think that "Perfection" is not only a good goal, but the optimum goal. I fell for that idea too. This blog will show you why and how and why this is a very dangerous goal!
In a prior blog I proposed the concept of "brittleness" and I thought that I did a good job on it, but now I see how "perfection" guarantees the failure due to "brittleness". Here is a simple example. What if the goal was to get to the top of a flag pole and to stand on top of the flag pole on one foot. If that is not a "perfect" goal, I don't know what would be. Think of the challenge that would stimulate in a society? In a way, it could be equated to the "end game" and that is exactly what it is.
Remember one of my blogs where I proposed the idea of "good enough" or "worth it"? Those ideas are totally opposed to "perfect"' Why would anyone have an objective of "good enough"? I used to ask the same question myself. Now that I have looked deeper into the concept and realized that it created more and more "brittleness" I became very worried as you should also be. This is not some abstract concept. it seems to be happening all around us right now.
Look at the whole "green movement". The goal is to save the world and stop the changing of weather here on Earth. We all should know by just looking around that the Earth's weather has been changing over the last millions of years. Who came up with the idea that it need to stop changing? Some nut!
Where did oil and coal come from? Is the Earth now producing oil and coal? If so, where and how? The only conclusion is that the weather and conditions on Earth must have been different from today. Further. to be different then the weather on the Earth must have changed, so why is it so bad now that weather appears to be changing? If it changes, what could be the end results? Could it be better, worse or the same? Is the conditions for life here on Earth better or worse than it has ever been? Who knows. If the climate or weather was "perfect", exactly what would that be? Could the Earth then feed more humans? We now have over 8 billion people. If we had more, would that be better? What if the weather was "perfect", I guess that we would also have the optimum or maximum number of us humans here on Earth. Would that be great or "perfect". If the Earth then had just one year where the weather was bad, how many millions of us humans would die? See how "brittle" the Earth would be if we ever got to the state that the green movement people seem to want. Think about it.
Perfection might appear to be the highest goal. but it is like the dog that chases the car. What happens to the dog when he actually does catch the car? Think about it.