Here are a few points about the Griner exchange in this blog.
We need to look at the Russians angle in this exchange. Remember my post on "Decisions"? I used to teach decision theory in a major university and know a little about decision making. I pointed out that one of the most common decision errors was to not consider " doing nothing". Doing nothing does not mean "for ever.". In the future the decision may be revisited with new conditions. Why has that point been so silent? You tell me. Is the Biden administration that stupid or is our public so stupid that they can be manipulated?
From the Russian point of view, they knew that they had a "4 pointer" with Griner and that meant they had the upper hand in negotiations with the Biden administration. Don't know what a "4 pointer" is? Well, I will tell you' Griner was"
(1) Black
(2) Female
(3) Queer
(4) Bad mothed the USA
The Russians knew that a "4 pointer" was a lot more valuable than someone who was just a soldier and that they could get back one of the worst humans on Earth in an exchange for a "4 pointer" from Biden's administration. I guess that the Russians are a lot smarter than us Americans.
.