For some time, I have been questioning whether the Earth's air pressure has been changing. There is very little data on the Earth's prehistoric atmosphere so one has only been able to speculate on what it may have been and what affects that it might have had. It has been my position for some time based on the fact that other planets in our solar system had an atmosphere and one time and have lost theirs that this is happening to our Earth. That is the point of this blog.
We have fossil examples of many animals that existed at one time on Earth that clearly could not survive on today's Earth. Large flying reptiles are just one example. As a pilot, I am familiar with how difficult it is to fly and especially at high altitudes. The density of the air or air pressure is a very significant factor and the only way that I can see that these large reptiles were able to fly was if the atmosphere were much denser. The Earth's atmosphere is so thin that 50% is below 10,000 feet or approximately 2 miles. Considering that the diameter of the Earth is about 8,000 miles, that is a very very thin layer.
Some of you are familiar with hyperbaric chambers used for medical purposes and how they can increase healing. There is now research that shows that plants can grow much faster in these same conditions. This matches with what we find in may of the plant fossils so one could assume that the conditions on Earth may have been much different at the time these plants were growing. Animals show some of these same characteristics. How do you think the hearts of very tall dinosaurs were able to pump blood all the way up to their heads? It would have been much easier if the Earth had higher air pressure.
If you read my prior blog on this subject, I also proposed that the Earth is slowing down and the length of a day is getting longer. Why is that important? With a denser atmosphere and higher rate of rotation, the temperature on Earth would be more "even". That would make life much easier for both plants and animals and thus they may be able to grow larger. This same affect on plants could be a major factor in the formation of "coal" and "oil".
The other thing that I pointed out is that the Earth is getting much smoother and there are fewer tall mountains. At the same time the oceans are filling in and getting shallower by erosion and the collection of space dust. What I would like to see are mathematical models that would attempt to take many of these factors that I have mentioned into account to see what they might be able to predict about the past and the future. Every thing that I have seen regarding global warming looks like it was put together as a high school science project.
I just hope that you are as curious as me. It is a lot of fun.
We have fossil examples of many animals that existed at one time on Earth that clearly could not survive on today's Earth. Large flying reptiles are just one example. As a pilot, I am familiar with how difficult it is to fly and especially at high altitudes. The density of the air or air pressure is a very significant factor and the only way that I can see that these large reptiles were able to fly was if the atmosphere were much denser. The Earth's atmosphere is so thin that 50% is below 10,000 feet or approximately 2 miles. Considering that the diameter of the Earth is about 8,000 miles, that is a very very thin layer.
Some of you are familiar with hyperbaric chambers used for medical purposes and how they can increase healing. There is now research that shows that plants can grow much faster in these same conditions. This matches with what we find in may of the plant fossils so one could assume that the conditions on Earth may have been much different at the time these plants were growing. Animals show some of these same characteristics. How do you think the hearts of very tall dinosaurs were able to pump blood all the way up to their heads? It would have been much easier if the Earth had higher air pressure.
If you read my prior blog on this subject, I also proposed that the Earth is slowing down and the length of a day is getting longer. Why is that important? With a denser atmosphere and higher rate of rotation, the temperature on Earth would be more "even". That would make life much easier for both plants and animals and thus they may be able to grow larger. This same affect on plants could be a major factor in the formation of "coal" and "oil".
The other thing that I pointed out is that the Earth is getting much smoother and there are fewer tall mountains. At the same time the oceans are filling in and getting shallower by erosion and the collection of space dust. What I would like to see are mathematical models that would attempt to take many of these factors that I have mentioned into account to see what they might be able to predict about the past and the future. Every thing that I have seen regarding global warming looks like it was put together as a high school science project.
I just hope that you are as curious as me. It is a lot of fun.