Remember one of my earlier blogs where I show that many things that are "good" can also be "bad" at the same time. In this blog, I am going to challenge the Free School Lunch Program as being both "good" and "bad" at the same time.
I have a grandson who has a food allergy problem and thus he takes his lunch from home each day. There are many kids who have similar problems which requires their mothers to prepare their special lunches. When I was going to my two room school, my mother came to school in the morning and prepared lunch for us kids just like most schools do today. On with the story.
Kids used to work on the farm before and after school and were generally stronger than kids are today. Now kids don't ride their bikes to school, they ride the bus. The fact is that kids today do not get near the exercise that kids used to. Farmers have automatic loaders to handle their heavy bails of hay and the result is that farmers are not as strong as they used to be either. This same principle applies to all areas of human physiology. If you want something to get weaker, figure out a way to make it easier. Simple isn't.
I think that we can all agree that the biggest problem with our schools is not the teachers, but the parents of the children. I know that I have bad mouthed teachers in the past and they have a share of the blame, but parents are a bigger factor. You only have to look at home schooled kids compared to those in our public schools to see that on average the home schooled kids do much better. My point is that if you want the parents to be worse, make their jobs easier, just like I said above. By having the school provide the free lunch and often a free breakfast too, we make the parents job easier and easier and thus we end up with worse parents. Do you follow that?
Most do gooders feel that the free lunch and breakfast are "good" ideas and they are, but there is clearly a bad side too. You can't get away from the fact that many decisions have this good and bad side. The problem is to look at both sides and decide if the good side is "worth it"! In the case of the free lunch, I don't think so. I know that when I started kindergarten, I had to be able to tie my shoes, feed myself and go to the toilet by myself. My mother had to teach me that or I could not go to kindergarten. My point is that parents have responsibilities and to let them get off from their responsibilities under the name of the tax payers doing "good" for the kid is bad for everyone. If a parent does not send a lunch to school with their child, someone should got to their home and find out why.
I think that it would be a lot better in the long run if we corrected the parent responsibility problem early rather than having their kid spend time in jail years later. If you have been following my blogs, I try to search out the "cause" of a problem and correct that rather than just treating the "symptoms" with pain pills. If kids are hungry in school, giving them "free lunch" does not solve the real problem! Think about it!!
PS---I could have used the example of schools having janitors to clean up the mess made by the kids when it is clear as a bell that having the kids clean up their own mess would be a much better solution.
I have a grandson who has a food allergy problem and thus he takes his lunch from home each day. There are many kids who have similar problems which requires their mothers to prepare their special lunches. When I was going to my two room school, my mother came to school in the morning and prepared lunch for us kids just like most schools do today. On with the story.
Kids used to work on the farm before and after school and were generally stronger than kids are today. Now kids don't ride their bikes to school, they ride the bus. The fact is that kids today do not get near the exercise that kids used to. Farmers have automatic loaders to handle their heavy bails of hay and the result is that farmers are not as strong as they used to be either. This same principle applies to all areas of human physiology. If you want something to get weaker, figure out a way to make it easier. Simple isn't.
I think that we can all agree that the biggest problem with our schools is not the teachers, but the parents of the children. I know that I have bad mouthed teachers in the past and they have a share of the blame, but parents are a bigger factor. You only have to look at home schooled kids compared to those in our public schools to see that on average the home schooled kids do much better. My point is that if you want the parents to be worse, make their jobs easier, just like I said above. By having the school provide the free lunch and often a free breakfast too, we make the parents job easier and easier and thus we end up with worse parents. Do you follow that?
Most do gooders feel that the free lunch and breakfast are "good" ideas and they are, but there is clearly a bad side too. You can't get away from the fact that many decisions have this good and bad side. The problem is to look at both sides and decide if the good side is "worth it"! In the case of the free lunch, I don't think so. I know that when I started kindergarten, I had to be able to tie my shoes, feed myself and go to the toilet by myself. My mother had to teach me that or I could not go to kindergarten. My point is that parents have responsibilities and to let them get off from their responsibilities under the name of the tax payers doing "good" for the kid is bad for everyone. If a parent does not send a lunch to school with their child, someone should got to their home and find out why.
I think that it would be a lot better in the long run if we corrected the parent responsibility problem early rather than having their kid spend time in jail years later. If you have been following my blogs, I try to search out the "cause" of a problem and correct that rather than just treating the "symptoms" with pain pills. If kids are hungry in school, giving them "free lunch" does not solve the real problem! Think about it!!
PS---I could have used the example of schools having janitors to clean up the mess made by the kids when it is clear as a bell that having the kids clean up their own mess would be a much better solution.