I recall the march in Selma 50 years ago and agree that in those few southern states, Blacks were being denied their rights to vote. Prior to the march, I did not know how bad is was in the south because I lived in California. In most states of the USA, there never had been any Black slavery or were they denied their rights to vote. Places like California and Michigan never had any Black slavery. People need to be reminded of that fact. Think about this fact. Lincoln freed the slaves in 1863 and in 1862 the USA government hung 38 Native Americans who were protecting their land from European settlers. The government wanted to hang 305 Native Americans, but Lincoln reduced the number to "just" 38.
If the marching in Selma 50 years ago finally got the Black community their civil rights, why did so many Blacks try to burn down Detroit or why the Blacks tried to burn down Watts? In these two states that never had any slavery or denial of voting, why did the Blacks act so irresponsible? Another point about Ferguson. The attorney general's investigated the Ferguson police department did not "prove" that the department was bias against Blacks. What it did is to "accuse" the police of being biased. There is a big difference between being accused and convicted in a court of law. What I learned in school was that you are not guilty until "proven" guilty in a court of law where you can challenge your accusers. I have not head from a jury of our peers. Have you?
The statistics that I have seen regarding Ferguson showed that "force" was required in may of the arrests of Blacks. I do not have the statistics, but from my observation of the news, I think that Blacks resist arrest much more often than do non-Blacks. If that were the case, the stats from Ferguson just might be exactly what you would expect.
Selma may have gotten the Black community their right to vote, but it did not teach the Blacks that they need to conduct themselves responsibly. Blacks need to, work hard, do well in school, not use drugs, not commit crimes, not have children out of wedlock, cooperate with the police. These are all things that do not cost a penny so there is no excuse for not doing them. Poverty is thus "not" an excuse. Blacks are not victims of Whites, they are victims of their own conduct. More need to look in the mirror for the answer to their problems. Until the above happens, more free tax money is not going to make the quality of life for Blacks any better.