Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Ferguson And High School Drop Out Math

Here is a  little of 4th grade high school drop out math based on national  statistics.  I did not make up these statistics, I am just analyzing them in a little more detail.  The number that I am going to use show the White high school graduation rate at 93% and Blacks 75%.  Both of these two number look a little high to me, but I am still going to use them.  Here are the other numbers.  It has been reported that Whites make up about 1/3 of the population of Ferguson and Blacks make up the other 2/3.

Here is a new look at the numbers in terms of the number of young adults in Ferguson who are high school drop outs.  Ready for the numbers?  It works out that 12% of high school drop outs are White and 88% are Black.

If you were to drive around the city of Ferguson, like most cities, during the day you would see a lot of young high school drop outs.  Most of the other people would be working or doing some thing productive.  The fact that 88% are Black gives you an idea of the size of the problem, but you also have to ask "why" there are so few White kids?  Did the White kids do some thing right or did the Blacks kids do some thing wrong?  There has to be a cause.  It is not magic!!

There are a lot of cities where the statistics are even worse and what do you think is the cause.  If some White person is doing some thing against the law that affects Blacks, I would like to see them in jail, but I would expect the same treatment of Blacks.  That is what fair means.

PS---Obama said that, "...Blacks have been left behind economically.."  This implies that "someone" has left the Blacks behind.  The bus left with the Whites on board, but the bus did not include the Blacks.  What Obama should have said was, "....the Blacks have not kept up economically..."  With these words, the implication is that it was some thing the Blacks did or did not do to keep up rather than being left behind and thus a victim. Obama could have said that "most" of the problems the Blacks have are of their own making.  This would, at least give a balance to the debate.

PS---For Blacks the graduation rate for males is only about 50%.  If I used those numbers in my 4th grade calculations, the results would have been 94% of the drop outs on the street in Ferguson would have been Black and only 6% would have been White.  Those are the facts with no bias.  Wake up!