Thursday, December 6, 2012

The News Media And The Economic Cliff

I am sure that most you did not notice the poor job that the news media are doing in regard to the economic cliff that the country faces.  Here are my observations.

I have been watching all the news media and they are all doing exactly the same thing, and what is that?  The are covering the economic crisis like it is a football game.  They are reporting on what all the players are doing and giving us a play by play account.  I, for one, am not interested in a play by play account of a stupid game.  The country has a problem and that is the year end crisis. What the media should be doing every time they get on of the elected players on one of their shows is to ask them, "what should be done".  They keep asking them for their guess on what play will be run next by which team rather than telling us what they think we should do.  These guys were elected to help govern the country, not act like spectators at a football game. 

The two alternatives that Obama has placed on the field are both bad for this country and everyone knows it.  If that is the case, then why don't all the players on the side lines speak up with their opinion on what we should do.  I am not talking about choosing between the two alternatives that have been put on the field by Obama.  Are we all that stupid to go along playing Obama's game?  I am not sure.

Remember that I used to teach decision theory at a major university and know a little about how to structure decisions.  That's right "structure".  I pointed out in the past that the most common error made in decision making is not having all the alternatives on your list.  Obama has gamed our news media and convinced them to just focus on two alternatives.  The people of this country have to speak out and make sure that more alternatives are on the table.  Further, we have to define the "objective".  Right now, we do have any kind of agreement on the objective.  In Obama's mind, it is his objective to punish his enemy, the Republicans, rather than working for what is best for this country.  That is why Obama is a Judas, not like one of us.  Get that thru your heads.

We know that increasing the tax on high earners will not solve our economic problem.  We all know that it will make things worse.  When I say all, I mean people who have normal brains and we seem to have a lower percentage of those people today that ever.  How about the sugar quota that limits the importation of sugar into the USA?  Our sugar cost twice as much per pound than the rest of the world.  We can import ethanol from Brazil cheaper than we can make it because they can produce sugar to half of what it costs us.  I am on social security and I still feel that we need to raise the age by at least 5 years over a gradual period.  This goes for all benefits based on the age of 65.  We need to eliminate special treatment of green energy including ethanol.  We need to put an age limit on expensive medical procedures like artificial knees and open heart surgery.  My aunt had open heart surgery at age 83 and lived an additional 2 years.  Had she not had the surgery, she would have still lived a few more years.  Further, she got in benefits from social security in about 5 years what she paid in during her whole life.  You know that we can not run a business like that.  I would cut student aid by 50% and research grants of all kinds by the same.  If you went thru the numbers, you could actually cut a lot more, but 50% would be a good start.  I blogged before that all 98% Phd's in non technical or medical areas are worthless, so cutting that money by 75% would not hurt anything.  It would mean that a lot of liberal professors would  not have jobs.  I would get rid of unions in all public sectors just like Reagen did when the air controllers went on strike.  I own a plane and I agree 100% with what Reagan did.

What do you think?  Are you just a couch potato who want to just sit and watch the game of the future of this country?  Or do you want to try to save the country for your grand kids?