We are now seeing the "knee jerk" response against guns. This is a reminder that we have a lot more "one movers" than you may have thought. I have been talking to some people about the situation and what I have been finding is that those who have never fired a gun or know nothing about guns are the ones who want to ban gun ownership. I would also be for gun control if there was a chance that it would solve the problem. I site the law against bank robbery and the fact that we catch and punish 99% of the people who rob banks as an example. Notice that we still have several bank robberies every day. It would be even worse if we banned guns.
Here is a simple proposal. Before we give any more authority to the government, we should first "test" the government to see if they are "qualified". That is to see if they could actually do what they claim. Every salesman knows that the first step in a sell is to "qualify" the potential customer. It is no different for our government. Obama kept saying, "yes we can", when we all know that the government is not very good at doing anything. Here is my simple qualification test. First, let's see if the government can keep 100% of drugs out of prisons. Here we are talking about a group of people who are locked up in cages where the government has total control over the inmates. Now, there drugs in 100% of our prisons. When the government proves that they can get 100% of the drugs out of our prisons, then they can come back and we can discuss what we should do about guns.
Now, we have both legal and illegal guns. I know people who legally own machine guns, yet I do not know of a single event where a legal machine gun was used to murder some one. We are only in the first phases on the discussion of gun control, so hold on.