Monday, June 4, 2012

Scott Walker, Integrity

It looks like Gov. Scott Walker is in a fight for his political life in Wisconsin. I have a short story about an encounter with Scott Walker that I feel is worth sharing.  You know from my BIO that I am a woodworker.  The way that I have participated in political elections over the past few years has been with my woodworking.  I have been making fancy jewelry boxes and selling them at craft shows.  I have been making special jewelry boxes and giving them to candidates to be used to raise money at silent auctions.  It has been a very good way to raise money.  Now my story.

A few years ago prior to the original Wisconsin state election, I ran into Scott Walker at a tourism event.  We talked for a few minutes and I told him that I was a woodworker who made these fancy jewelry boxes that I gave to political candidates to be used to raise money.  I normally put the name of the candidate or their picture on the top of the box , so I asked Scott Walker for something that I could use.  Scott Walker recognized that what I was proposing was promoting his candidacy for governor and he cut me off.  He reminded me that this event was a state sponsored tourism event and not "political" and thus he could not use it to collect election funds.  It would have been so easy for him to have told me where I could get the materials that I wanted and thank me for my help, but he didn't.  Scott Walker knew the difference between doing the job that he had been elected or hired to do and his own personal run for a political office.  It would have been like using a tax payers paid event to collect money for his personal political campaign.  In that moment, I gained a much greater respect for Scott Walker.  Other political candidates who I have worked with in the past would "not" have cut me off.

I thought that you might like to hear my story.  Scott Walker shocked me with his "Integrity" and that means some thing to me and I hope that it does you too.