We all know that Politics and Religion don't mix, but did you ever really look into just why that is? I did not think so. Well as you might have expected I do have some opinions on the subject, so here goes.
First consider the fact that Religion has been around here a lot longer than Politics. Based on that simple fact, one should start from the position that it just might be because Religion has is right and Politics does not. We all thought that Democracy was the ultimate summit of politics and that Democracy has finally gotten it right. Well maybe not. You might notice that those most committed to Democracy are also the ones who are the strongest against Religion. Why is that? You would think that Politics would realize that since Religion has been able to survive all these years that they might have something to teach. Well, they do. Notice that Religion promises everything just like Politicians. In that regard, they are the same. Both seem to want power over the unwashed and both seem to have it. Look deeper and you will find a big difference. I think that I have your interest now and you want to know exactly what the difference is, right?
Like most things in life, when you finally understand them, they are very simple. I have said before that I have never seen anything that was very complicated or difficult to understand and Politics and Religion are not different, so here it is. Notice how Religion has promised a better life in the future and so has Politics. At age 65 in the USA we can retire and get social security and free health care. Isn't that great? The problem is that with Religion, you don't get the benefits until you die. That's right, you have to die first and there are thus no refunds. Now with Politics, they made similar promises but failed to understand that they had to be paid "before" the person died. It did not seem like such a big point at the time, but now it has come back to be the whole ball game. I know what you are thinking. The Politicians thought that they themselves would be dead before the bills had to be paid and many were right. Now that we are living longer many of these bills are coming due while the Politicians are still in office. It was never supposed to be that what. Think about it. Roosevelt died before hardly a Penny had been paid out on social security, so he went to his grave with the thought that he did a great thing for the USA. I am sorry, but that will not be the same for our current Politicians.
Next time tell you Politician friends that they should not make promises that have to be paid for while the voters who put time in are still alive. They need to tell voters that an benefits will not be paid until they are dead at least 90 days. The time period could be increased if necessary, but I think 90 days should do the job. Again, I ask, "It really is simple isn't it?"