I don't know about what is happening in your area, but here we clearly have a Japanese Beetle invasion and it is bad. I am not sure where they are coming into my house, but there are hundreds each day. They tend to cluster at windows on the Sunny side of my house. They are easy to swat with a fly swatter, but there are just too many to deal with them in that way. So what do I do?
I went to the internet and found that I am not the only one with a problem. I found hundreds of posting about the Japanese Beetle problem and what some were doing about it. There were several adds for traps to catch them and several people who had come up with their own trap designs and bate. I went to my local hardware store looking for bait and found a customer who was looking for the same thing. I did find a trap that had some bait. I just bought one and the other customer purchase all that they had in stock.
I also looked on the internet for people who had come up with their own bait. Most of the formulas were simple, so I made a batch of my own and added it to my homemade traps. The formula that I selected had yeast and a small amount of sugar so I think it may take a couple of days before it is smelly enough to attract the Japanese Beetles. We will see. The Japanese Beetle are very sluggish and easy to kill. Most of the traps had either a bag or a jar to catch the Beetles. In one case I used a clear bag that the grocery puts vegetables in and on the other I used an empty one gallon milk jug. Both were simple and we will see how they work.
While on the internet, I found all kinds of example of the damage that Japanese Beetle can do to vegetation. I have not experienced any of that yet because it is only mid spring here and there is little growth out doors. I don't know about you, but if the Japanese Beetles get out of hand this early and we do not do anything about them, you can bet this will be a long summer and a bust for our gardens.
\\
\\