Thursday, June 3, 2021

Golf

 Golf players will understand this blog.

I did not start playing golf until I graduated from college.  I was very lucky that one of the guys who worked for me was the best golfer in the company.  He was also a very good teacher.  I played golf with him at least three times a week, but never on week ends. As you might have expected, my golf game improved very significantly.  I was able to play golf at major courses around the USA and around the world.  As I look back on my experience today, there is a very important lesson that I learned from golf and what was that?  If you want to improve your golf game, you need to play with players who are better than you.  I think that most golfers already know this rule, but it applies to much more than golf.

We all know that the Black community in the USA has serious social problems.  Those problems are manifest in more than crime and poor economic performance.  Like many social problems, they can not be solved from the outside.  I point out the contrasting performance of Asians who are also a minority here in the USA.  The Asian community actually performs better than the base line White community.  Why is that?

Let's start with young men.  Like golf, if you want to improve your situation, you need to associate with those who are better models and that means that Black young men need to avoid hanging with others who are high school drop outs and who engage in the use of drugs.  It does not take a police department to get young Blacks to avoid poor social models.  It is up to the individual to make these kinds of judgements.  For most, this simple lesson is taught by the young person's father and that means that Black fathers need to start taking responsibility for their young male children.  It is like golf, these kids need to play with better players.

I was watching the News where a young Black kid about age 14 was out with much older Black men who had guns and apparently gave one to this young Black.  When the kid was confronted by the police, he ran away with the gun in his hand.  At a split second when the young Black turned with the gun still in his hand, the policeman shot him.  It might have been that the young Black was trying to throw away the gun, but at night and a split second, the policeman had no choice but to shoot.  You have to ask why that young Black person was out that late at night and why he was with a model who was so different from the model that he should have been associated with?

If a young person hangs around with older criminal elements you have to expect that they will be effected in a very negative way.  Blacks need to start "playing with better players", Black, White or Asian.