Do you think that we have an efficiency problem? We do and this blog will explain it.
I am going to prove my case using examples that are right under your noses. The first one is your local "barber". Did you ever think that we have an efficiency problem with our barbers? Well, we do and here it is. Why do barbers have to go to a "beauty college" and spend that time and money learning what they could learn in your local barber shop in less than a week? It is to make it more complex and expensive to become a barber and thus the barber has to charge more to get their "bait" back. My wife has cut my hair for the past 40 years and does a great job while never having gone to beauty college nor having to be licensed by the state. What a waste.
I am a wood worker who has made all kinds of fancy boxes, trays, picture frames and even classical guitars. A few years ago, I made the coffin for my father. It was a work of love. The problem is that I can not legally sell you a similar coffin. The local undertaker has got it set up so that he gets a "cut" by having to legally go thru him to sell you a coffin. That efficiency problem ends up costing you extra money!
How about the college monopoly? If you go to college to earn a degree and are able to pass the class final exam without having taken the particular class, it still does not count. In some cases, they will count the class, but then require you to take an additional class so that you do not end up saving time or money. If your degree requires you only have to pass Calculus I and you challenge it and pass the final exam, they don't really count it because they make you take Calculus II in its place. This type of thing happens all the time. If a student could actually really challenge classes and get full credit for them, many students could save money and time and graduate in 3 years vs 4 or 5. Why do us tax payers allow colleges that we pay for to get away with this kind of screw job?
If you think our colleges are bad, how about, Medical Colleges? They are among the worst. I have kids who have gone thru this so I know first hand. Rather than going directly from high school into Medical School like most of the rest of the world, our kids have to get "Pre-Med" degrees that eat up 4 or 5 years of their lives with cost much more money. It actually gets worse when the kids graduates from Medical School, they have to serve an "internship" of several years. All this time they are getting older and the meter is running on cost while they have not yet earned a penny. If that isn't bad enough, it gets worse. Now, what if your kid wants to "specialize" in something? He has to almost start over again while getting older and older and spending additional money. Now that they have become a specialist in carpel tunnel they can start earning and paying back the bait. Why isn't this all reversed, where they start learning how to do carpel tunnel surgery right out of high school? Explain that.
I could keep this going on and on all day. Think of plumbers who have to jump thru more hoops than almost any other profession. Or how about Dentists or Optometrists? I think that people selling hearing aids may have slipped thru a crack. How about people who sell shoes? Do you think they need to be licensed by the state? 99% of what I see are cases where a small group who practice a profession work to restrict new people who want to get into their profession. I don't think that most of the regulations and licensing protects the public as much as it helps those who are already in the professions. In prior blogs, I have pointed out less than 50% of our new doctors got their degrees or were born in the USA! What is wrong with us that we can not produce our own medical doctors? The primary reason is the BS that I explained above is going on right under our noses. I used to teach at a major university, but I can not legally teach my kids at the local grade school. How screwed up is that? In some states, I may even have to join a labor union to teach kids in our public schools. I have had it!
PS---I have a very good friend whose wife is a dental hygienist. Here is her story. She paid to go to college to become certified as a dental hygienist, but when she want to get paid to clean teeth, she found that she had to give a regular dentist a "cut" or she could not clean teeth. She can clean her husband's teeth or her children's. Why is it against the law for her to come to your house and clean your teeth? Is it screwed up or what. It is just a scheme by dentists to screw us out of more money!
I am going to prove my case using examples that are right under your noses. The first one is your local "barber". Did you ever think that we have an efficiency problem with our barbers? Well, we do and here it is. Why do barbers have to go to a "beauty college" and spend that time and money learning what they could learn in your local barber shop in less than a week? It is to make it more complex and expensive to become a barber and thus the barber has to charge more to get their "bait" back. My wife has cut my hair for the past 40 years and does a great job while never having gone to beauty college nor having to be licensed by the state. What a waste.
I am a wood worker who has made all kinds of fancy boxes, trays, picture frames and even classical guitars. A few years ago, I made the coffin for my father. It was a work of love. The problem is that I can not legally sell you a similar coffin. The local undertaker has got it set up so that he gets a "cut" by having to legally go thru him to sell you a coffin. That efficiency problem ends up costing you extra money!
How about the college monopoly? If you go to college to earn a degree and are able to pass the class final exam without having taken the particular class, it still does not count. In some cases, they will count the class, but then require you to take an additional class so that you do not end up saving time or money. If your degree requires you only have to pass Calculus I and you challenge it and pass the final exam, they don't really count it because they make you take Calculus II in its place. This type of thing happens all the time. If a student could actually really challenge classes and get full credit for them, many students could save money and time and graduate in 3 years vs 4 or 5. Why do us tax payers allow colleges that we pay for to get away with this kind of screw job?
If you think our colleges are bad, how about, Medical Colleges? They are among the worst. I have kids who have gone thru this so I know first hand. Rather than going directly from high school into Medical School like most of the rest of the world, our kids have to get "Pre-Med" degrees that eat up 4 or 5 years of their lives with cost much more money. It actually gets worse when the kids graduates from Medical School, they have to serve an "internship" of several years. All this time they are getting older and the meter is running on cost while they have not yet earned a penny. If that isn't bad enough, it gets worse. Now, what if your kid wants to "specialize" in something? He has to almost start over again while getting older and older and spending additional money. Now that they have become a specialist in carpel tunnel they can start earning and paying back the bait. Why isn't this all reversed, where they start learning how to do carpel tunnel surgery right out of high school? Explain that.
I could keep this going on and on all day. Think of plumbers who have to jump thru more hoops than almost any other profession. Or how about Dentists or Optometrists? I think that people selling hearing aids may have slipped thru a crack. How about people who sell shoes? Do you think they need to be licensed by the state? 99% of what I see are cases where a small group who practice a profession work to restrict new people who want to get into their profession. I don't think that most of the regulations and licensing protects the public as much as it helps those who are already in the professions. In prior blogs, I have pointed out less than 50% of our new doctors got their degrees or were born in the USA! What is wrong with us that we can not produce our own medical doctors? The primary reason is the BS that I explained above is going on right under our noses. I used to teach at a major university, but I can not legally teach my kids at the local grade school. How screwed up is that? In some states, I may even have to join a labor union to teach kids in our public schools. I have had it!
PS---I have a very good friend whose wife is a dental hygienist. Here is her story. She paid to go to college to become certified as a dental hygienist, but when she want to get paid to clean teeth, she found that she had to give a regular dentist a "cut" or she could not clean teeth. She can clean her husband's teeth or her children's. Why is it against the law for her to come to your house and clean your teeth? Is it screwed up or what. It is just a scheme by dentists to screw us out of more money!