Several years ago I heard about some data that had been compiled about some of our Eastern states public school teachers that showed their average IQ was less than the students they were teaching. When I hear strange data like this I am skeptical and reserve final judgment about its accuracy. That is what this blog is about.
How can it be that the average public school teacher could have a lower IQ than the average of the kids they teach? It sounds impossible doesn't it? Well, let's explore the subject a little before we jump to a judgment. I can tell you that it is very difficult to find quality data on this point, because I have tried. One thing that I think that I can agree with is that the average of IQ of kids who attend college has gone down. Historically only those who had higher IQ's went to college. Over time, more and more of our kids have gone to college. That meant that those who went to college tended toward the more average IQ that is 100. Another way to look at this is to realize that school teachers who graduated years ago were on average of higher IQ's than those today. Do you follow that?
It is clear from the above that the average teacher today has a lower IQ than those years ago, but there is another factor. If you are familiar with our colleges today, then you know that our teachers colleges have the lowest scholastic standards and often those who fail at the more difficult major drop down to teaching. This means that there is a second selection process from the general college student population that tends to select those of lower IQ's. This is clearly a sorting process that selects out the lower IQ kids.
There is yet a third selection process. Many of those who end up as public school teachers find that they do not fit well and opt for careers that are more intellectually demanding such as stock brokers or starting a business. You know that this "cherry picking" process takes place where the smartest teachers leave teaching for something that pays more The net affect is that the few smarter teachers tend to be weeded out, thus lowering the average IQ of those who are left.
After looking deeper into the situation, I think that I now have to agree that the average school teacher has a lower IQ than those who they teach. If this is good or bad, I am not ready to conclude, but I know that if they compensate by specialization as Henry Ford did, it is a very big step backwards.
When I read the stories about important intellectuals of the past, a common thread is that they were fortunate to have studied under one of the "smartest" people in their community. That happens less and less today and we are the worse for the change.
PS--We know that kids who are home schooled do better on average than those from public schools. Do you think that maybe because the parents who home school their children have higher IQ's than do our average public school teachers? Data seems to point in that direction.
How can it be that the average public school teacher could have a lower IQ than the average of the kids they teach? It sounds impossible doesn't it? Well, let's explore the subject a little before we jump to a judgment. I can tell you that it is very difficult to find quality data on this point, because I have tried. One thing that I think that I can agree with is that the average of IQ of kids who attend college has gone down. Historically only those who had higher IQ's went to college. Over time, more and more of our kids have gone to college. That meant that those who went to college tended toward the more average IQ that is 100. Another way to look at this is to realize that school teachers who graduated years ago were on average of higher IQ's than those today. Do you follow that?
It is clear from the above that the average teacher today has a lower IQ than those years ago, but there is another factor. If you are familiar with our colleges today, then you know that our teachers colleges have the lowest scholastic standards and often those who fail at the more difficult major drop down to teaching. This means that there is a second selection process from the general college student population that tends to select those of lower IQ's. This is clearly a sorting process that selects out the lower IQ kids.
There is yet a third selection process. Many of those who end up as public school teachers find that they do not fit well and opt for careers that are more intellectually demanding such as stock brokers or starting a business. You know that this "cherry picking" process takes place where the smartest teachers leave teaching for something that pays more The net affect is that the few smarter teachers tend to be weeded out, thus lowering the average IQ of those who are left.
After looking deeper into the situation, I think that I now have to agree that the average school teacher has a lower IQ than those who they teach. If this is good or bad, I am not ready to conclude, but I know that if they compensate by specialization as Henry Ford did, it is a very big step backwards.
When I read the stories about important intellectuals of the past, a common thread is that they were fortunate to have studied under one of the "smartest" people in their community. That happens less and less today and we are the worse for the change.
PS--We know that kids who are home schooled do better on average than those from public schools. Do you think that maybe because the parents who home school their children have higher IQ's than do our average public school teachers? Data seems to point in that direction.