Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Dual Citizenship

Most of us have never though much about "dual citizenship", but it maybe much more significant than you may think.  That is what this blog is about.

Before I get started I want you to know that I am basically against dual citizenship.  As it stands now here in the usa, if you are an illegal immigrant and have a child here, your child is an automatic citizen of the USA.  They are also a citizen of the country of the mother.  Once the child grows to legal age for voting, they can vote in "both" countries.  It would be the same if the mother was an exchange student here legally.  For the record, that was the situation with President Obama.  He was a dual citizen.  He could have run for President of Kenya and still could.

My position is that once a kid caught in the situation above reaches age of maturity, they should have to chose the "single" country that they are a citizen of.  With the situation that we have now many illegal immigrants game the system and try to have "anchor babies" here who can then sponsor their legal immigration.  This is a fact under our current laws. Rather than let this go on, I feel that we need to clarify our laws in this area so that illegal immigrants can't game our systems.

I think that being a citizen of the USA is a big deal and should require a 100% commitment to the USA if a person wants to get the benefits of citizenship.  I think that we need a good debate about whether children born in the USA from mothers who are here illegally should automatically be citizens.  When this law or interpretation of the law was introduce, I don't think that people thought ahead to what might happen in the future.  It was the incorporation of the slaves after the Civil War that produced the current law, but it did not consider the current mess.  I think that we need to revisit this subject with the idea that it might result in a correction of the current laws.

PS--One of the biggest problems with dual citizenship is tax fraud.  Rather than call them dual citizens, why don't we call them "half" citizens and treat them as such?