Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Obamacare, Easy Solution

I have an easy solution for Obamacare.  If you know me, you know that most problems that appear complex, often have very simple solutions.  The main problem is that most of us do not look for easy solutions.

First off, we need to agree on some terms.  Have you ever heard of some people being referred to as "disadvantaged"?  Exactly what is a "disadvantaged" person?  Is it PC talk for a "poor" person?  What I do is to look behind the curtain to find out what caused or created the problem.  I don't like to just give a person with a broken arm a pain pill.  I like to figure out why they got the broken arm in the first and address that problem.  If the person got the broken arm by recreational rock climbing, I don't feel sorry for them and don't want to spend my money or time addressing his broken arm.  The broken arm is that person's problem, 100%.  I like to help people who are trying to help themselves, but I don't like to help people who have created their own problems or who are gaming the system.  What I am getting to is that we really don't have "disadvantaged" people.  We have people who have been responsible who try to help themselves and irresponsible people who have created their own problems.  Now we can deal with Obamacare.

Does a person who drops out of high school and can't get or won't get a job a person who deserves modern space age medical service at the expense of responsible people?  I don't think so.  If these people deserve anything, it is a very basic inexpensive system, not Obamacare.  If a person has two kids out of wedlock, I would assume that they are well off enough to take care of them and provide for their welfare, education and medical care.  If they can't, who should be held responsible?  Not the kids, but the parent.  How about people who have 5 or more children?  Again, I would assume they are smart enough and wealthy enough to care for them and don't need any help from my tax money.  If they can't, should they get first class healthcare?  I don't think so.  How about people who do drugs, smoke or who are very over weight?  Those are their choices and they should take responsibility for them.  I don't owe them anything, do you?

If we would just get rid of the word "disadvantaged" and look at people in terms of how socially responsible they have been and provide the type of medical service that they deserve, our problem with the high cost of healthcare would be solved.  We need to be honest with our citizens and realize that we are not rich and that we can not afford Obamacare as it is currently structured.