Sunday, October 2, 2016

Global Warming And Ozone

I have blogged on global warming before, but now, I have a new angle.

When I run into people who are concerned about global warming, I have a pet question that I always ask them.  "What is Ozone"?  100% of them don't know.  This leads me to one of my theories.  Some years ago, I heard on the news that there was a hole in the Ozone layer over the South Pole.  Everyone seem to believe that this was a very big deal.  I still don't know why there was so much concern given that 100% of people don't know what Ozone is.

Ozone is Triatomic Oxygen. That means that rather than the normal molecule of Oxygen that is made up of two atoms of Oxygen that Ozone is made up of three atoms of Oxygen.  Ozone is unstable.  It wants go give up that extra third molecule of Oxygen if it can find any other atom that wants it.  This means that the Ozone layer has to be continually be renewed.  We also know that Ozone is more dense than normal Diatomic Oxygen.   This means that it is easier for the gravity of the Earth to hold it down.  Ozone wants to sink down in the atmosphere.  Now it is getting interesting,

From the above, it is clear that for the Earth to have an Ozone layer, the Ozone has to be formed at high altitude, but from what?  There are two choices, water vapor or normal Oxygen molecules.  At high altitude, the impact of the rays of the Sun are much greater and have the energy to split a small percentage of molecules like water or normal Oxygen molecules,  I contend that water vapor is the main source and here is why.  When a molecule of water is split, the Hydrogen, being so light, drifts off into space.  If is were still around, the lone atom of Oxygen would gobble it up.  The only natural place left would then be normal two atom Oxygen that would grab it and form three atom Oxygen or Ozone.

That is my theory, but there is another angle and that is the destruction of water.  I have blogged that we are losing water, but in fact, what we are losing is Hydrogen leaving the Oxygen behind.  I think that this is how our other planets in our solar system lost their water.

One other point.  The South Pole is the driest place on Earth, plus the Sun hits the area at the greatest angle and thus does not have as much energy to split molecules.  This means that less Ozone is formed above the South Pole and we know that Ozone does not last very long.  It is being destroyed above the South Pole as fast as any  place else on Earth, but it is being formed at a much slower rate, thus the hole,