I have been talking to a lot of people about how they are going to vote. Notice that I said "how", not who. We seem focused on "who" when we should be taking a look at "how". If you can first understand "how" they are going to vote, it will lead you to "who". Here is what I have been finding.
Most people tell me that they are going to vote for what is in their best interests. That sounds good on the surface. Isn't that the purpose of a democracy? Get everyone to vote on the basis of what is in their personal interest. We could debate whether some people are even smart enough to vote for what is in their personal best interest, but that is not the purpose of this blog. I am talking about normal people who honestly feel that the responsible thing to do is to vote for what is in their best interest. You might ask, how could there be a problem with that? Well, there are a lot of problems with it.
Here is a simple example that you must have heard before. Would you, as a married person, go to bed with a good looking person of the opposite sex if you were paid a million dollars? If you were to say "yes" to that, then you are admitting that you are a prostitute. The next step is to establish your price. This is the kind of thing that we are talking about. I think that a person needs to look at themselves as a person who is standing in a long line. Behind you in that line are all the parents and grandparents who came before you and ahead of you are your children and grandchildren not yet born. You got to where you are now with the responsibility to vote what is in all their interests, not just your current, "give it to me now" definition. Why do you think all those who came before you were working so hard to clear land and fight our wars? They did not do that for you to now, only consider your immediate thirst or hunger. How about the thick steak that you are eating today that your grandchildren will have to work and go without to pay for in the future? Your parents gave you a country with little debit and now you see no problem passing the country onto your children with drowning debit. Is this starting to make some sense? Are you a prostitute?
Now back to "how" you are going to vote. The President works for us, not the other way around. He has no money to give to you. We are the ones with the money that we earned. If he takes money from me and gives it to you, are you then going to vote for him because it was in your best interests? See how this all works? Any President who can and does take money from me and gives it to you can tomorrow take money from you and give it to someone else. Now, where is your best interests? As for myself, those are not the risks that I want to take for myself, my country or you.
How am I going to vote? I am going to vote for what is in the best interests of "all" those people standing in that line with me. I am not a prostitute.