Sunday, April 17, 2011

Greenies Are Alive And Well

With all the economic problems that America is having, you would think that the Greenies would call off the dogs, yet they are still alive and well. They do not seem to understand that they are much of our current economic problem. Notice that they are using the same old argument, "the solution is not 100% safe" or if we just hold out we will find the "perfect solution". We sent people to the Moon didn't we? I just saw a video claiming that we can get energy from sea water. The only way that we can get rid of the Greenie movement is the same way that we get rid of religion, because it is the same thing. For them, it is "faith" that we are dealing with not logic. Why some of us humans buy into things on the basis of "faith" is beyond of me.

Why are we still not drilling in the Gulf? The Greenies put forward two arguments for not drilling at this time. The first is that producing more oil here will have little affect on the price of gas. I agree with that point, but it is not the main reason why we need to drill. We have the worst trade balance with the rest of the world that we have ever had. That is the problem caused by importing so much of our oil, not the price.

How logical is it to not burn our coal here and make electricity, yet ship it to China where they will burn it? The same carbon dioxide will be put into the air there and in a couple of days it will be in the USA. I just saw another add on TV where some organic "waste" was converted into fuel of some kind. Why Greenies think that lawn clippings are "waste" is also beyond me. Leaves and lawn clippings rot and are naturally recycled now as the have been since the beinging of time. If what they claim is waste is not returned to the soil, they will have to come up with some other kind of fertilizer to replace it. As I have stated before, I have at least a million trees on my property that need carbon dioxide to survive. Without carbon dioxide, they will die. The more carbon dioxide there is in the air the faster my trees take it out and expel oxygen. Think of all the coal and oil that is under the ground. At one time it was carbon dioxide in the air and plants took it out and made wood out of it and eventually oil and coal. If you think about it, there must at one time been a lot of carbon dioxide around.

I had a wind generator on one of my sailboats in 1980's. I guess I was ahead of my time. It was a state of the art unit that used a standard DC generator and plastic propellers to charge my lead acid batteries. The actual technology dated from about 1905 and is exactly the same as what is being used right now in 2011. If there has been any technical advancement, it has been very very little. My guess is that we will make about the same amount of technical progress on wind generators in the next 100 years as we have made in the past 100 years and that is almost zero. That is the way it works with basic science. We are not talking about science fiction movies, we are talking about real science. What about wind generators is the real technical guts of the unit? The propeller and the DC motor. All the rest is concrete and structure, with some copper or aluminum wire to carry the electricity. I don't foresee a technical break thru on concrete of steel poles or copper wire, do you? The propellers are still the same as was perfected by the Wright brothers in 1908. I am a pilot and I know that not much has changed. The lead acid battery is still the best value when it come to storing electricity and it was perfected about 200 years ago. None of the newer batteries are as economical as the old lead acid battery. Even the latest lithium ion battery was invented in 1903 and not much has changed on that one either, so don't look for any big break thru too soon.

If you have any grasp for science and economics, you have to ask why we would be spending our national wealth on something that will not help solve out energy problem? Do you really think that we can defy the laws of physics? In the science fiction movies, people seem to be able to fly, but have you ever seen a real person fly? Sorry that I have to remind some of you, but science fiction is "not" real. They call it "fiction" because it is not real. Starting to get the message on wind and solar energy?

Why can't the city of Los Angles or New York City generate 100% of their power needs from a combination of solar and wind? Ever thought about that? I can heat my home with the trees from just 5 acres for ever. I can run a steam engine to generate 100% of my electricity from just an additional 5 acres and do that for ever. I would not need to import any oil, coal or other forms of power. it would be a lot of extra work, but I could do it. I can easily grow enough food and meat to feed myself and my family. Why is that? Low population density. What is the problem that faces the human race all over the world? Population and specifically population density. Why is it that you never hear the Greenies talking about the real problem that faces us all? When I was a kid, the USA had less than 150 million people. Now we are about 325 million. Compared to most of the world, we have a low population density, but we are still in trouble. See what I mean?

Greenies, get a life.