Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Green What?

I just drove across the USA and had a chance to view the affects of the Green Movement. First, my gas mileage with Ethanol was down by a higher percentage than the amount of ethanol in the gas. The savings from ethanol were worse than zero. If the stuff were free, it would not be worth adding to the gas. This is just one example, but my real point is about the people who are pushing all this Green stuff.

First, as I drove across this great land, I noticed that as family sizes have gone down, the size of homes has gone up. The worst thing is that the very well off people who are pushing all this Green stuff are the ones who are building the biggest homes. Many have more than one home. The point is that these bigger homes require more resources and more energy to build and maintain. To my way of thinking, this goes against the very idea of Green. These are the people who are making me put ethanol in my gas tank while at the same time they are eating up our energy and resources at an accelerating rate. How is that?

I see homes that are over 5,000 sf that only house two or three people. I remember when I was a kid, we had a house with about 1200 sf that worked fine for 4 people. What if rather than making me put ethanol in my tank that we made people who have a home with more than 500 sf per person pay aa Green tax? If we had this, Al Gore would have a very big tax bill on his home. We have other areas where we use a lot more energy than we really need.

I drove thru the Tahoe area of California and the Vail area of Colorado. Both are nice ski areas, but what about the amount of energy these people are using in proportion to the fun they seem to be having? Notice how so many of the people who what you and me to put ethanol in our tanks are the same ones who are doing all the down hill skiing. How much energy do you think it takes for a person to slide down a snow covered hill for a day? It is a lot and at the end of the day, what to we have to show for it? I don't have any problem with snow shoeing or cross country skiing, but I do with fun and games that appear to use up far too much energy.

How about golf? I went to a big party at the San Jose Country Club over the weekend and noticed that there were only about 20 golfers on the whole course. The course was nice and green and they players all rode around in electric golf carts. Green carts. Like snow skiing, I think golf must be about the next most energy consuming sport for the amount of fun people get out of it, so why are the Greenies not complaining about golf courses instead of making me put ethanol in my tank.

I think that you can see where I am going with this. I don't have a problem with not wasting energy, but these Green people are not honest and seem to know what is good for me and my car. Can you figure out how crushing a perfectly good car that has thousands of miles left in it and building a new one saves energy? If you can, you are a lot smarter than me. Next time you hear one of these Greenies shooting off their mouths ask them about their golf game, the size of their home or how the snow was on the slope.